Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Mom, Twila and Cody came over last night and we cooked a real southern meal, LOL. Fatback, gravy, biscuits cantaloupe, and I fixed some fordhook Lima beans. Growing up we had this often but would most likely have pork'n beans. Mama worked 9 to 6 and so meals needed to be quick. I was so tickled when Jeremy called from Washington State and said, "Mama, they don't have Fatback in these grocery stores!" I don't remember what he said they called it, side meat or something. It is funny to me to remember that as a kid we would not eat the rind so my Daddy ate ours, now that's my favorite part. Also, he liked the crust on cornbread and would eat ours.
The picture is just like I scanned it of my Nanny and me in 1964. She made the BEST cornbread! She used yellow corn meal, flour, buttermilk, eggs and a big spoon of mayonnaise and had a special square tin pan with a few dents to bake it in. Using that pan it was as pretty as a cake with no crust and was so light. I can't find the meal she used and mine never turned out like hers so I rarely make cornbread. I can't bake biscuits either. She had a bowl of flour like many southern women and would put the shortening and buttermilk in the bowl. I wonder what today's health officials would say about reusing the flour? Didn't hurt us!
I guess I will have to come up with something that Charli remembers me cooking. We have a cake walk at church tomorrow helping the Acteens raise money to send a missionary for school supplies in a part of the country they are really hurting. The Children's Church does do a local thing, too, but the Acteen's are doing a Rock a Thon and getting sponcers and then we have the cake walk. I am baking cookies called "Death by Chocolate" and will try to find a cute way to package them. I have some tins and baskets so I will do something cute.
Well that's another memory shared, Les is getting ready for work and I am going to check out a yard sale or two and go see Charli and get Gina to do my hair. I want layers because I sweat so badly in this humid heat my hair stays soaked. Gina says it is hormones and most older women complain of this. It makes me feel like my poor Nanny, she would have a rag to keep her face wiped. She had very thick hair and long and would wind it up on top of her head. She was a true Southern Woman (worked in the cotton mill, too.) The irony is her parents, the Maynards, came over from England in 1904 and since she was born January 4, 1917 she was first generation American!

3 comments:

Zaroga said...

Love the photo... I think you needed to change clothes after eating the juicy watermelon. I remember that type of lawn chair too... they were heavy.

When I make biscuits I mix them up with my hands still. I don't do it often. I told someone that I would show pictures of how I do it sometime. I'm thinking maybe a video :-) That is a ways down the road. So the frozen version is it for now unless Frank makes some.

I know you will find a cute way to package the cookies.

Kar said...

Yum! Let me know next time you have that menu and I will be over! :) I just love old memories like this. They make me feel all cozy inside just thinking about all the simple things that happened when I was little. Wonderful!

Hope you have a great day Tammy and keep cool! I'm already for the fall temps. Sad, huh.

xxxx

Debbie said...

I loved reading about your memories! I love good cornbread and biscuits as well!!! Now the biscuits I can make but the cornbread, although it is always edible, it ususally falls all apart, I also had to much shortening I guess! Anyhoo, just wanted to drop by and say hi!!!