Tuesday, July 21, 2009


I really enjoy reading Zaroga's Blog! I really need to post more memories of growing up and so here is a start...

First this is my 350th post, I am very proud of myself for posting every day this year!
July 20, 1969 was the day of the first moon walk, I really do not have a memory of seeing it on TV but it would have been a huge B/W set, Daddy also had a tiny portable TV for the car, Les and I actually used that when we got married! We have never been ones to have the latest model.
I was in the Third grade in 1968/69, my teacher was Mrs. Smith. I remember she had a chalk painting on one of her chalk boards that Ruth Martin had done. Mrs Martin was the Mom of Lou who was in my class. She was a local artist and owned the Gallery in town, She would come and give us art lessons and really encouraged me. Back then it was not something common to have art, we had a little PE because of the President's Council on Physical Fitness that was mostly going on the playground and counting pull ups and running and jumping. By 1970 we had it once a week.
This funny picture is me holding my brother and that's my sister (sorry Twila!) The top picture is my third grade photo. I had these glasses from before I started school until I fell and broke them after the fourth grade. I tripped over something in our laundry room/side porch. I wish the photographer would have at least straightened them!
There is something else very important about Art back then... then, we did a clay project every year, this was my second grade and in the third grade we did a SC one because SC History was a Third Grade requirement. The thing is the TEACHER did most of the work! Thank goodness it is not like that today! I have had people helping in my class and they start doing the child's art themselves and I tell them "It is the Process not the Product!" Learning how to make art is very important to children, it is a small muscle motor skill. Most parents will not buy Play Dough, paint and such because of the mess. I am so glad I taught my kids better!
Publish Post

Well this is a start, I am going to have to think of more stuff, I guess!

My biter did his thing yesterday! I was blessed to have several days bite free, I guess! I had to put ice on Dakota's arm, they were playing so well together with the dinosaurs and he bit her out of the blue! All I can do is put him in Time Out, No to biting lemons, or hot sauce or Anything else. I am hoping he will learn to talk better so he can express himself better soon!

1 comment:

Zaroga said...

I'm glad you enjoyed my memories of my grandparents. My memory is fading on some things now... so best to write them down when they come to mind.

You were a cute kid and you had a lovely smile.

I didn't get my glasses until the 7th grade... I really needed them in the first grade.

I had cataract surgery a few years back. Yes, an earlier age than most people. I'm weird... the cataracts had formed on the back of my lenses. The implants allow me to see far okay, but not close, so I need glasses for reading and the computer. I wish the cataracts had waited til now to form.. they now have implants where you don't have to wear glasses at all after the surgery.

I'm glad you are posting memories. You will like the good feelings they give you.

It seems like only yesterday that the moon walk happened.

All through school we had art projects.. I wasn't any good at them, but enjoyed them.

I hope the biter calms down.